CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 1, 2008

Love and Healing

The other day, early in the morning, as I was thinking about things before I got up, I was feeling a bit sorry for myself for various reasons. And I caught myself pre-meditating which kind of cookies/treats I was going to eat that day. Of course, I know I go to food for comfort, but I think also, to provide myself with love or attempt to heal emotional wounds. (I know I'm getting a bit deep on you guys, here...) But sugary foods are not healing or necessarily loving. So I tried to correct my thinking a bit by making a list of things that ARE healing & loving.

When you need emotional healing:

  • Prayer and spiritual experiences are healing.
  • Physical rest is healing.
  • Actual balanced nutrition is healing.
  • Movement is healing.
  • Creative expression is healing.
  • Cleanliness is healing.
  • Progress reports aid healing.
  • Touch & massage are healing.
  • Talking, crying, emoting are healing when it doesn't hurt others.
  • Boundaries are healing.
  • Schedules and routines can be healing.
  • Pushing yourself a little more each day can be healing.
  • Gratitude is healing.
  • Learning & education can be healing.
  • Breathing is healing.
  • Reducing negative thinking can be like tylenol.
  • Service to others can reduce emotional swelling (being puffed up with ego) like ibuprofin.
When you need to love yourself:
  • Pamper yourself.
  • Get your physical needs met.
  • Allow rest, work and play.
  • Beautify your environment.
  • Daily devotionals to borrow love from God, if you don't have any for yourself.
  • Don't say mean things to yourself!
  • Say nice things to yourself... affirmations: I am a good person. I have worth. My body is a miracle of science. There are so many beautiful things about me.
What else? How do you show yourself love and healing? I know it's squeamish for some people to talk about, but it's reality. We all need to receive love & healing from our own selves. Because who else is going to do it if you don't?

3 comments:

Maris110 said...

Hi Natalie!

I agree with you - I think that in order to heal/love yourself you do need to pamper yourself. I also think that a lot of women have asomewhat misguided view of what it means to "pamper" themselves.

Of course, it's different for everyone, but I always thought that I was taking great care to pamper myself by getting a massage, or taking a nice long bubble bath, or treating myself to a decadent dessert, but a good friend told me that pampering yourself is doing what you love and what makes you feel good about yourself, like all of the things you listed, ie: balanced nutrition, love etc.

It really makes you think about the important things in life! Thanks for the great post.

Maris110 said...

Hi Natalie!

I agree with you - I think that in order to heal/love yourself you do need to pamper yourself. I also think that a lot of women have asomewhat misguided view of what it means to "pamper" themselves.

Of course, it's different for everyone, but I always thought that I was taking great care to pamper myself by getting a massage, or taking a nice long bubble bath, or treating myself to a decadent dessert, but a good friend told me that pampering yourself is doing what you love and what makes you feel good about yourself, like all of the things you listed, ie: balanced nutrition, love etc.

It really makes you think about the important things in life! Thanks for the great post.

Crabby McSlacker said...

What a great list! There are SO many better ways to heal that to eat sugary foods and then feel bad about it--thanks for compiling some of them.