CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 18, 2008

Passing along some good stuff!

Check out this funny website! So refreshing to get some humor about this situation that I feel so distraught and humorless about. I decided I could really use one of the wacky diet inventions he has on his site: The Anti-Eating Mouth Cage. Particularly between the hours of 9pm to midnight!!!!!!!!!!

I found out about the website while listening to the Good Food podcast. It is such an excellent website for foodies, especially if you are interested in political & scientific segments once in a while, too.

As I've been listening to some of the archived podcasts from Good Food, there were interviews with 2 authors of books that seemed so great. One of them, The Crazy Makers: How the Food Industry Is Destroying Our Brains and Harming Our Children, I talked about on my other blog.

The second is called In Defense of Food. I loved that the author talks about how there is food, and non-food out there in the grocery store. He calls non-food, "edible food like substances." His "manifesto" is "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." It's the type of common sense that clever food marketing has brainwashed out of us. The best example that gave me a good heads up for my kids was "Go-gurt." It has so many fillers, that it's not even yogurt anymore. He says in the 70s, there were regulations in place that would require that type of product to actually be called, "imitation yogurt" instead of "yogurt." But the food industry lobbyists were more powerful than the consumer advocates, and now they don't have to use the word "imitation" and we unknowingly are feeding ourselves & our kids all these yucky chemicals & edible food-like substances.

Below are 2 links to these books. I put them both on my wish list. This type of stuff fascinates me.



1 comments:

G.G. said...

I recently read the Pollan book, and thought it was good, though I just don't know how practical some of his suggestions are. La Wade at Phat Science has a good review of it. Her thoughts pretty much matched my impressions. I liked his earlier book, The Omnivore's Dilemma more (not that I disliked In Defense of Food--I just wish it had the same depth as the older book).

I'm going to have to check out the Crazy book--looks interesting.