CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 21, 2008

Lose Weight By Blogging?

There are a lot of good books out there right now on peoples' weight loss experiences, methods, philosophies, etc., etc., etc. But when I heard Julia Cameron's comments on the Good Food podcast, something really clicked. Her book is called, The Writing Diet: Write Yourself Right-Size. In the interview, she talks about how she is a creativity expert, not a diet expert, but she started to see a trend with the overweight women she was working with. It was like she would meet an overweight women and typically, for example, they would have a Hagen-Daz habit, AND were not writing their short story. So her theory is that much like people stuff their emotions down with food, people do the same thing with their creativity. So she recommends some journaling exercises and some strategies for when you get the urge to eat unhealthily. (Do you think blogging would count?) Maybe that is why people like Pastaqueen are having the best of both worlds. Publishing books AND losing weight!! :)

And as I said, that really struck a chord with me. I see it going on with my son. He'll say, "Mom, can I play with play-doh?" "Not right now." Then he will just go watch TV, start getting bored and want to snack. I know I've learned to do that over the years, whether it be out of fear, procrastination or for whatever reasons, I know some of that anxious energy that gets put into munching or binging is dormant creativity. I love to write, paint, draw, dance, sing, decorate... and I don't do hardly any of it as much as I would like. It all makes sense to me! Now the author's smart enough to find the problem, is she smart enough to help people solve it? I'm dying to find out. My queue of "to read" books is pretty long, but when I read it, I'll let you know.

Or you read it & be sure & let me know what you think! :) Link is below:

3 comments:

bunbungirl said...

Hi! I found an article related to Diet in your site.
I am interested in your site very much
I want to often visit your site from now on.
Japanese I am interested in a diet, too.
Please link to this site if you are interested in a diet.
In this site, I send diet information in the world.
Would you introduce information(URL)in your site if you like it
http://diet-beauty-weightloss.blogspot.com/

Crabby McSlacker said...

Hmmm, this sounds like a really interesting theory! I don't know if mindless eating squelches creativity or not, but it sure seems like an excellent idea to substitute creative pursuits for snacking.

Great blog, by the way!

G.G. said...

Hope you're doing OK and hanging in there!