CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 11, 2007

A Book Plug!

I just read something to my kids that helped me answer a question that I have seen on several weight loss blogs. A great little book by Karen Beaumont & illustrated by David Catrow called I Like Myself.

The great mystery was how do I accept myself for who I am at this moment, while the number on the scale is so abhorrent, unacceptable and unhealthy. I am so good at not liking myself, but that doesn't help me get any further on this weight loss journey.

The secret lies somewhere hidden in a preschool or kindergarten class. You have to like yourself. And obviously think about it in a deeper way, and have gratitude for the body you do have, and what it can do, and like it despite its imperfections. Like yourself inside and out, and to be true to yourself, you have to like what you do- which is the tricky part. I'm hoping that I gave enough credit to the book, and that I can transcribe the words in this blog, because they were so beautiful and profound (and remember it's MUCH better with the illustrations!!):

I like myself!
I'm glad I'm me.
There's no one else I'd rather be.
I like my eyes, my ears, my nose.
I like my fingers and my toes.
I like me wild.
I like me tame.
I like me different and the same.
I like me fast. I like me slow.
I like me everywhere I go.
I like me on the inside, too,
For all I think and say and do.
Inside, outside, upside down,
From head to toe and all around.
I like it all! It all is me!
And me is all I want to be.
And I don't care in any way
What someone else may think or say.
I may be called a silly nut
Or crazy cuckoo bird-- so what?
I'm having too much fun, you see,
For anything to bother me!
Even when I look a mess,
I still don't like me any less,
'Cause nothing in this world, you know,
Can change what's deep inside, and so...
No matter if they stop and stare,
No person
Ever
Anywhere
Can make me feel that what they see is all there really is to me.
I'd still like me with fleas or warts,
Or with a silly snout that snorts,
Or knobby knees or hippo hips
Or purple polka-dotted lips,
Or beaver breath or stinky toes
Or horns protruding from my nose,
Or--yikes!-- with spikes all down my spine,
Or hair that's like a porcupine.
I still would be the same, you see...
I like myself because I'm ME!

What do you get out of these words?

0 comments: