CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 15, 2007

Help! I'm getting a little too close to the edge of the wagon

No, I haven't fallen off the wagon. (I just fell in my living room. I'll explain later.) But I've been pushing the upper edge of that calorie range (SparkPeople gives me between 1410 and 1760 per day), and yes, there were a couple of days I was up into 1900+ calories this week.

Here's the problem I'm having: I AM SICK OF BROWN RICE! And I don't see too much I can do about it because for the heart healthy menu, I have to eat a ton of whole grains & there just isn't that much variety. Or is there? Do you have suggestions? Ok- I take that back, I am eating almost every whole grain in the known free world. They rotate me through a lot of whole grain menu items: whole grain bagels, whole grain waffles, whole wheat bread, cream of wheat, oatmeal, whole wheat english muffins, potatoes, corn bread, couscous, popcorn, whole wheat pasta, pretzels, tortilla chips, whole grain pitas, whole wheat crackers... That should be enough variety, shouldn't it? But with the recommended 7 servings per day (nope, not kidding. 2 for breakfast, 1 for snack, 2 for lunch, 2 for dinner), that brown rice still comes around a little too often. What else is there? Bulgar, barley...?? I would welcome any recipes or suggestions to change up the palate. I used to not mind rice, but I would eat white rice with flavorful creamy sauces on them (and not plain with tofu, green beans & BBQ sauce on them. Blech!! Don't try it at home!). That's why today when I tasted a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup for my small "treat," my taste buds said, "More! More! You've been depriving us!" ... and they got more relief than they really needed. Sigh.

In other (bad) news, I SPRAINED MY ANKLE!!! Ok. With that photo, I don't know what's worse: the swelling or the need for a good pedicure. It actually just looks like I am posting a picture of my chubby ankles & feet. But actually, on the outside of my ankle, the swelling was the size of a big egg. It looked like a cancerous growth or something. And that was the morning after the injury after ice, elevation, Celebrex, etc. I am soooooooo mad. I stepped on one of my kids' toys, struggled to get my footing, then just came down & crunched the ankle. I didn't go to the doctor because I know they would just say ice it, take anti-inflammatories, stay off it, etc. I was almost at the point with my knee that I could start slowly venturing into high impact activity again, and now hello! No weight bearing activity for 4-6 weeks, according to webmd.com. Maybe that's how long this cold/flu virus I have will last. It is taking FOREVER for my husband & I to feel better. We are still pretty sick & basically only function with the help of tons of tylenol & decongestant.

So in all reality, I just needed a chance to vent a little to people who know how it feels. I was feeling pretty sorry for myself until I read this article. Very charming Time Magazine photos of families around the world & how much they spend on food per week. It was such an eye opener.

P.S. To the 2007 Challenge people- how do I post on the 2007 Challenge Blog?

7 comments:

Amethyst said...

Sprained ankle = not good. Has the inflamation gone down yet? I know back in December (the day after Christmas) I tore a ligament and it took me till Feb to start running again

Critter said...

Ouch! My ankle hurts just looking at your ankle.

A Heathier Me said...

I hope your ankle is feeling better!!

Cory said...

Sorry to hear that you've sprained your ankle. I hope you are feeling better now!

~~Midnight Raider~~ said...

Sounds like a lot of your grains are wheat-based (bread, pretzels, etc.). Try other grains instead, like oatmeal, quinoa, barley, etc.

honib1 said...

youch.. boy i hope u feel better soon... are u doing high fiber too.. a good snack bar are the fiber one bars.. they nail the sweet tooth every day.. plus they keep ya regular.. ( maybe u might not want to know that lol)
feel better soon...

Paige said...

I'm a HUGE fan of quinoa (pronounced Keen-wa) it's a yummy alternative to brown rice.
Hope the ankle feels better!