CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 8, 2007

Good Eating Week/Bad Exercising Week

I feel like I've been on a seesaw with my weight loss attempts in so many ways. First of all, for a while, I've been getting myself to the gym and getting about 5 hours of cardio/week plus weights very faithfully. But I've been eating like crap. Well, I finally committed myself to eating better, and this week I got sick & only exercised once. And it won't happen tomorrow because I will be at a Women's Conference most of the day.

But at least it hasn't been a week's break from exercising with eating binges as well. Ever since we went to the grocery store & stocked up, so I could stick to the SparkPeople menu plans, I've been doing great. So for my June goal this week, "thumbs up". Good high fiber, high protein breakfasts for the last several days.

But I've noticed something about my menu plan that surprised me- all the carbs! I don't have an "after" picture of my fridge, but the most significant change is 2 bags of bagels, a loaf of bread, potatoes, and a bag of english muffins. I never would have bought that on my own. I'm going, "Are you serious?! I can eat bagels??!" The reason is that SparkPeople generated my menus, knowing I had high cholesterol, and I need to eat a lot of whole grains. So my calorie level is around 1700, with very little fat (they allow me up to 60 grams, but I have been getting around 40), around 100 grams of protein, and around 200 grams of carbs.

So this is a big pendulum swing for me. Or... if you will... more of this seesawing. When I was pregnant with both of my kids, I had gestational diabetes & I was counting carbs & avoiding them like the plague. Now it's a different challenge & I have to stay away from a lot of types of protein that I could load up on when I had diabetes. I dread the day when I have to avoid BOTH carbs AND fatty protein. And at that stage of life they usually take away your salt, too, for high blood pressure! Argh! Getting old is no fun. But I'm sold on the idea that it's a little funner when obesity doesn't add to all the problems you already face. I have got to lick that problem, and I will.

6 comments:

+ Sized Girl said...

Hey, I like your perspective on things! Keep up the great work!

honib1 said...

Great attitude and I hope u are feeling better !!! just remember a step at a time makes for ever lasting changes... much luck

~~Midnight Raider~~ said...

Sounds like you're doing pretty good! 1,700 calories seems about right. Keep up the good work!

Cory said...

Sorry to hear that you've been sick! That seriously sucks.
I'm sure that you can get your routine together though!

JOY said...

Gosh 5 hours is a great achievement. We all eat like crap sometimes - I think it is in every human being to be tempted.

Don't dwell on the past and what you have eaten in the past just look forward and plan what you are going to eat daily.

Well done on the menu plan! Love your attitude on getting older - you will kick it big time!

jeannie* said...

Its so hard to get both the eating AND exercising down. But soon enough you'll get there.

Sounds like your Spark People meals are great!!! Keep it up and enjoy your carbs :)