CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 27, 2007

The SparkPeople Epiphany


I have to say THANK YOU so much to the many fit blogs that I have read that clued me in to SparkPeople.com!! It's been a couple months since I signed up, but just 3 days ago, I really actually learned how to track your food & exercise, so I've actually for the first time since January, (when I signed up for Weight Watchers for the 4th time, then quit after a week,) TRACKED MY FOOD/calories, fat, etc.! Go me! Woo hoo! I think that's some good progress. I was amazed that it will generate meal plans, grocery lists and weight workouts for you all for free!! I love being told what to do, sometimes. You know?

Now, admitedly, I only kept within the calorie range 1 out of 3 days, but it was a good education for me on where I can do better & where my stumbling blocks are. I didn't actually realize that I was eating as much fat as I am. So there is definitely a red flag. But the good thing about SparkPeople, was that it was not as much pressure as WW. ("Oh no, I didn't follow the plan this week! I'm wasting my money!") Everything on the site was extremely positive and I loved how it gave you reward "points" for doing all those little things like reading articles, tracking your food, drinking your water. So if the scale isn't budging, you still get a small pat on the back for the things that you ARE doing.

The only thing I wasn't able to figure out is if it links the calories burned during exercise to your food calories. That's one thing I liked about WW ("I had an hour of cardio today, so I get to eat 4 extra points of food!"). And the other question I had for any of you SparkPeople experts- I understood that the points were just for fun, right? No actual real reward for the points, right? That was actually ok with me- I found myself still really happy for getting the points for drinking my water, etc. & trying to do more healthy stuff just to get those useless points. So any way you look at it, it's a good thing.

2 comments:

Cory said...

I really like SparkPeople as well, although I don't use it fully. I'm still going to my weight watchers meetings. I need the accountability of the lady weighing me each week. But SparkPeople does have some great people on it!

honib1 said...

I was doing Sparkpeople its a great site.. but I started spending way to much time doing all of this so I track myself on Calorie-count.com and I blog... Congrats though on finding that and hope it helps guide you along...