CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Something on which you can finally blame all the evils of this world


I recently read this fantastic article answering so many of my questions about why the grocery stores in the US are full of so much fattening food, how in the world did they come up with hydrogenated fat and high fructose corn syrup (& why they don't have things like that in Europe where they so arrogantly blast Americans for being fat-- I listened to it non-stop while I lived there for 5 years. And I weighed a lot less then, than I do now!)

I would highly recommend reading this New York Times article. But if you're not going to read it, you should know that the reason why we're fat is we've been choked to death with fattening food all our lives in the school lunch room and basically, the affordable food is fattening because it's indirectly HEAVILY subsidized by the U.S. government. (Corn & soybeans.) (Here's a great example from the article: A twinkie versus carrots:

[A Twinkie is] a highly complicated, high-tech piece of manufacture, involving no fewer than 39 ingredients, many themselves elaborately manufactured, as well as the packaging and a hefty marketing budget. So how can the supermarket possibly sell a pair of these synthetic cream-filled pseudocakes for less than a bunch of roots?
I was so incensed after I read this article, that I immediately wrote emails to my Congressmen, Senators, and even the governor for good measure, in case there was anything he could do on the state level. I just feel that yes, we can fight the problem by only shopping at Whole Foods, where they don't even let food in the door if its ingredients give you heart attacks. But it's expensive. And it's a tough problem to fight when you're fighting a 2 year old and a 4 year old who go to the grocery store with you and see all the fruit snacks and cereals on their eye level. The Farm Bill makes environmentalists mad, it makes our foreign trading partners mad, and it makes health conscious people mad. Another accurate, bulls-eye concept from the article is that the Farm Bill is not about farms, it's about food, and it's about time that the every day eaters of the food get a say. The Farm Bill only gets reauthorized every 5 years, so this is the year that counts. They fix it this year, or we and our kids get extra padding on our butts thanks to the US Government until 2012.

Read the article.

Contact your Congressmen.

5 Happy Things
  1. Even though it was hard, I really enjoyed going to the gym in the morning today instead of the evening.
  2. It helped that both kids were in preschool this morning! Yay!
  3. I made this yummy salad for my family last night.
  4. The beautiful warm weather.
  5. Going to card club tonight and seeing Stephanie off before she moves to CA. I especially enjoyed her 2 sweet daughters. One was a happy cute baby that just gave you endorphins when you smiled at her. The other was an adorable toddler who made her entrance at one point naked and soaking wet. :) Such cute kids. We'll miss you, Stephanie!

4 comments:

Chris H said...

It is disgraceful what they offer as "food" in school canteens nowdays for sure! And our kids can't help but make bad choices when they are offered tasty fattening crap all the time. WE as their parents must do all we can to educate our kids on healthy eating .... that and set good examples at home.

JessiferSeabs said...

Infuriating, isn't it? If you really want to get pissed, watch Supersize Me, read & watch Fast Food Nation, and read "SKINNY BITCH."

I guarantee you'll never look at a hamburger the same way again.

honib1 said...

Its all about choices and sadly the choices that are available are more in line with fast and easy and making money rather than healthy whole and good for you...

TrixieBelden said...

Thanks for the link to the article. I'll have to check it out.

I'm glad you enjoyed the gym in the morning - its such a great way to start the day, I wish I could motivate to do it!